Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy December

A hipster omelette.

I don't think I'd be the only university student who thinks that December is the worst month of the school year.  I've been swamped with final cases, final papers, and final presentations... not to mention end of the year activities for my groups, preparation for events next semester, and planning for some major university initiatives.

But being super-involved and pretty (extremely) type A means that this isn't the first time I've felt the crunch.  These are my rules for keeping sane...
  1. Eat normal meals.  It's important to keep a schedule where you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I frequently forget to eat meals when I get really busy, so this is definitely important.  I try to keep a small Clif bar in my bag for when I'm busy.  At the other extreme, it's also important not to snack to procrastinate.  I try to make sure to take a few minutes out of my day to cook simple meals, which tend to be healthier and and don't cost as much.  I'll make omelettes, simple Caesar salads, veggie burgers, or pasta - all of these take less than 20 minutes to make.
  2. Schedule everything.  My planner is filled with notes that I have to do for the day.  I like to set small goals for myself for every day.  If I have a 10 question math assignment due in three days, for example, in my planner I'll make a note to do the first 5 questions on the first day and the last 5 on the second day, leaving the last day to check over anything.
  3. Stay pretty.  Even when you're really busy and stressed, you still have time to throw on a pair of jeans. When you walk around in sweatpants, you feel like a scrub, so take three minutes in the morning to put on some mascara and chapstick - you'll feel a lot more awake and will be much more productive.  Along those lines, dry shampoo is your friend.
  4. Sleep.  Make a promise to get at least five hours of sleep a night.  One all nighter might be okay, but two will definitely burn you out.
  5. Be active.  Going to the gym is a weak spot for me. I used to be much better at going, but I've gotten involved with even more clubs this year and have taken up leadership positions - which takes up a lot of my time.  But by taking ten minutes for a bike ride or walking up a few flights of stairs, I at least feel a little better. 
  6. Breathe.  Take a few minutes out of the day to chat with friends, online window shop, and eat without your books out in front of you.  You'll feel a lot better and more refreshed.
Now my major goal will be to get through next Monday, which will be a super busy day for me, and then to follow all of my rules.


No comments:

Post a Comment