Saturday, January 8, 2011

Second Skin


I previously blogged about my new Kindle, which I got as a Christmas gift.  Almost immediately upon receipt, I started looking for ways to protect it.  I knew that I wanted a skin to protect it from scratches, so when I found GelaSkins' charity:water collaboration, I knew I hit gold.

GelaSkins creates skins (stickers, essentially) cut to fit your electronics.  They offer products for cell phones, laptops, mp3 players, and gaming systems.  Their products use 3M adhesives, so you know they're quality.  The skins are super thin, though kind of annoying to put on (as with most similar products).  I had to reposition mine a few times, and it still sticks, though I'm wary of repositioning it any more.  Mine fits my Kindle perfectly and doesn't get in the way of any of the buttons.

charity:water is a non-profit organization that focuses on bringing clean water to developing nations.  Almost 1 billion people in the world lack access to clean, safe drinking water.  Unsafe water and lack of sanitations cause 80% of diseases, and 90% of the deaths that occur due to this are to children under 5 years old, who are especially vulnerable to these illnesses.  There are a million reasons that water is one of the biggest environmental disasters of our lifetime, some of which are explained further on their website.  (A documentary I recommend on this topic is FLOW: For Love of Water.)

All donations to charity:water go to water projects, while their operating costs are covered by private donors, which means that you know a donation will make a real difference.  All net proceeds from a charity:water GelaSkin go to operational costs.

I chose the water doodle skin, which was customized and cut for my Kindle, but there are lots of other great designs here.

1 comment:

  1. Neat- so you get something cool, and get to contribute to a neat charity too!

    ReplyDelete